Why is it that Flagel Huber Flagel has prospered for over 80 years, since 1933?
In Flagel Huber Flagel’s case, much of the firm’s successful philosophy was embodied in a young, intelligent man who graduated from college right in the depths of the Great Depression. It’s by understanding this young man, Dave Flagel, that you understand why Flagel Huber Flagel is the great company it is today!
Dave had worked for a firm of CPAs in New York City while attending college at NYU and had expected that to turn into a full-time job after graduating. However, the Great Depression got in the way, and there were no jobs to be had. So, he returned to Dayton and started his own accounting firm, literally walking door to door to recruit clients.
His billing rate on his first engagement was six dollars for a half day, and twelve dollars for the whole day. But from the beginning, Dave offered something extra: he sat down with the client and reviewed the financials, making suggestions along the way. Dave considered this “going the extra mile.” Because of this extra effort, Dave’s client list steadily grew.
A few simple truths guided Dave’s professional life and continue to guide us at Flagel Huber Flagel:
- There is a right way to do everything, and it’s never difficult to do the right thing.
- Treat everyone with respect. It matters not whether they are a multimillionaire or bankrupt. A person’s worth has nothing to do with their wealth or lack thereof.
- It’s all about service to the client and going the extra mile. This is what differentiates Flagel Huber Flagel from all of the rest.
- Care about the client’s business as if it were your own.
- Strive for excellence in all that you do, especially in your work, for it is your self-portrait.
- And above all else, exceed the client’s expectations. Be helpful in every way possible.
Dave Flagel’s integrity, his foresight, and his work ethic are the foundation of our firm today, a firm that is highly respected throughout our service area.